Federal and Washington state laws aim to protect employees from exploitation by their employers. Employees who experience work-related issues such as sexual harassment, breach of employment contract, wrongful termination, and other employment issues, should contact an experienced employment lawyer.
Employment law can be complex for workers in Washington to navigate on their own. Working with a law firm like HKM Employment Attorneys in Bellevue can give you peace of mind. Do everything possible to advocate for your rights.
What Do Employment Lawyers Do?
An employment law attorney handles various legal issues between employers and employees. Lawyers in this practice area will commonly handle the following tasks:
Explaining Employee Rights
Employment lawyers help explain workplace rights to their clients, in addition to offering meditation, arbitration, advocacy, and litigation. Whether you’re seeking more information on which laws apply to you or wondering if you have a strong case on your hands for certain violations, an attorney can help.
Employment lawyers help employees remain fully compliant with various employment laws. This includes being compliant with labor and employment contract laws according to the provisions of the company and those of Washington state.
An employment lawyer can help you file a claim with the EEOC and other relevant government agencies for compensation. Your lawyer can also help you navigate a severance agreement if necessary.
Employment lawyers also provide legal advice and litigation services to claimants filing a lawsuit against employers for various reasons, such as denied benefits, workplace discrimination, or sexual harassment.
The attorneys at our law firm have years of experience supporting clients through a variety of workplace issues, including, but not limited to:
- Wage and hourly lawsuits: If you don’t receive your full pay for time worked, then you may be entitled to compensation. Your employer is legally required to pay you for the time you spend at the job, including any overtime hours you may work.
- Employment discrimination cases: When an employee is demoted, reassigned, or terminated based on their status as a protected class, then they have the right to seek justice in court. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits employers from discriminating against an employee based on race, national origin, sex, or religion. An attorney can help you determine if you have a case and what evidence should be gathered in order to prove it.
- Employment class actions: Should multiple employees have the same grievance with an employer, then a class action lawsuit may be the appropriate means to ensure everyone gets the justice they deserve. Since these types of cases have multiple plaintiffs, employees benefit from splitting litigation costs.
- Workers’ compensation: If you sustain an injury while on the job, an employment attorney can help you file a claim or appeal for compensation.
- Employee union issues: Employment lawyers can also advise employees when working to form a union that champions their rights at the workplace.
What Are Common Employment Disputes?
As an employee working in Washington, you have certain state and federal rights that your employer is responsible for upholding. Should they fail to do so, an attorney with experience in work-related lawsuits can help you file a claim. The most common types of employment disputes include:
Cases involving wrongful termination are often the most difficult to handle, as they put the employee’s work on trial. Because Washington is an at-will employment state, an employer can terminate an employee without a given reason. However, if the employee was let go after revealing their religion or sexual orientation, or after facing other types of discrimination in the workplace, then they may have a case.
As the name suggests, these lawsuits arise when the employer doesn’t compensate employees properly for work done. This includes not submitting timely payments of overtime hours or earned tips, and failure to provide regularly paid leave.
Harassment and Discrimination Disputes
The federal law protects workers from any form of harassment and discrimination based on age, disability, gender identity, or race.
If an employer denies or delays severance payments or has an employee sign unlawful non-compete agreements, then they may be subject to litigation.
Consult with Experienced Bellevue Employment Lawyers
When facing workplace discrimination, harassment, or wage disputes, you need an advocate on your side who can ensure you’re fairly represented during mediation or in court. HKM Employment Attorneys is an employment law firm serving Bellevue and the Seattle area, ensuring employees have reliable representation to prevent exploitation, harassment, or other workplace issues. Reach out to us today to get started with an initial consultation to discuss your case.
Call 425-434-5391, schedule a call, or fill out this form and we will get back to you ASAP.