Employment Law Attorney
Ms. Emens represents employees in employment law matters, focusing her practice on litigating discrimination, disability accommodation, harassment, wrongful termination, and leave issues. Ms. Emens also maintains a robust class action practice fighting for workers on wage and hour issues, unpaid commissions, and misclassification. Ms. Emens has represented plaintiffs in class action matters involving violations of various consumer protection acts, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
While completing her law degree at Seattle University School of Law, Ms. Emens worked full-time at one of Seattle’s premier employment law defense firms. In addition, Ms. Emens served as a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Thomas S. Zilly at the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington. She also served as President of the Labor & Employment Law Association, was managing editor of a law journal, and participated in moot court and alternative dispute resolution competitions. In recognition of her dedication to labor and employment law, Ms. Emens was a recipient of the Mary Ellen Krug Scholarship, awarded by the King County Bar Association Labor & Employment Section. Ms. Emens has also been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2019.
Committed to serving her community, Ms. Emens participates in various pro bono and leadership roles. Along with fellow HKM attorneys, Ms. Emens provides volunteer representation to child victims in order to protect their privacy in criminal matters. Ms. Emens previously served on the board for King County Washington Women Lawyers, and currently serves on committees for both the Pacific Coast Labor & Employment Law Conference and Washington Employment Lawyers Association. Ms. Emens also is a longtime supporter and volunteer at FareStart, a job training and placement program for homeless and disadvantaged individuals.
Location: Seattle Office
Areas of Practice:
- Seattle University School of Law (J.D.)
- cum laude
- National Order of Scribes
- Seattle Pacific University (B.A., Political Science and Communication)
- magna cum laude
- Presidential Scholar Award
- Contributing Author, Washington Lawyers Practice Manual, Employment Discrimination
- Contributing Author, Washington State Association for Justice, Employment Law Deskbook
- Rachel Emens, The Not-So-Endless Ocean: How the Cost of Convenience is Closing in on Us, 4 Seattle J. Envtl. L. 131 (2014).
Professional Associations & Activities:
- Fellow, Federal Bar Association Litigation Academy
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Legislative Committee Member, Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- New Member Committee Member, Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- EAGLE Member, Washington State Association for Justice
- Planning Committee, Pacific Coast Labor and Employment Law Conference
- Washington Women Lawyers, King County Chapter
- Federal Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2019-2022
Call 1-800-791-1007, schedule a call, or fill out this form and we will get back to you ASAP.