Employee counseling lawyers work with employees who feel that their employers may have broken federal or state laws in the treatment they received. They can also give counseling services to employers. No matter how careful you are as an employer or business owner, there will be times when you will need the help of an employee counseling lawyer.
For employees, using the help of an employee counseling lawyer usually happens when they feel their employer has not treated them fairly or when they break the law. Employers might use counseling lawyers to discuss legal issues concerning sexual harassment, employee benefits, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission laws, Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, labor law, and other matters concerning employment law.
Other areas in which an employee counseling lawyer can help:
- Wrongful termination or wrongful discharge
- Employment discrimination
- Contract issues
- Whistleblower protection
- Workplace discrimination
- Union and non-union negotiations
- Human resources
- Negotiating medical leave
When to Hire an Employee Counseling Lawyer?
The simple answer is when an employer commits an illegal act towards the employee. However, this can be complicated since it can be difficult to know when the employer crosses the line. Illegal actions are not always cut and dry situations. Nevertheless, some basic instances can be quite obvious. For all other situations, it is best to consult with an employment law firm.
The following are some examples to know if you have been harassed or discriminated against:
- Age discrimination; where the employer consistently passes up an employee for benefits and promotion because of the employee’s age
- When the employer defaults on giving an employee the promised benefits, severance agreements, or paid time off
- If an employer asks the employee to sign agreements, restrictive covenants, non-compete agreement, or other employment contracts that may be detrimental to their rights
- If you have faced sexual, gender or racial or any other discrimination from the employer or fellow employees
Law Offices to Help You with Labor Law for Arizona Employment
If you’re an employee who isn’t sure if you have a right to file a claim against your employer, our employment law attorneys can determine whether your claim has legs. At HKM Employment Attorneys, our employment lawyers specialize in legal practice areas concerning FMLA, EEOC, FLSA, ADA, and other labor laws. Our Phoenix office represents employee clients from Tempe to Scottsdale to Goodyear, and across Maricopa County.