If you are able and willing to work, you should not be held back due to a disability. In fact, employers are prohibited from discriminating against applicants with disabilities and disabled employees by refusing to hire, refusing a promotion, reducing benefits, etc. Furthermore, employers are duty-bound to provide reasonable accommodations to employees with certain disabilities.
What is a Reasonable Accommodation?
A reasonable accommodation is an alteration to your work procedures or environment that would make it possible for you to carry out duties for your job role. Employers are obligated to make reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, along with the Kansas Acts Against Discrimination included in the state statutes. Under state and federal guidelines, an employee with a disability is someone with the following characteristics:
- A physical or mental impairment limiting life activities;
- Is known to have this impairment; or
- Can successfully complete the essential functions of a job, with reasonable accommodations.
What to do if You are the Victim of Disability Discrimination
If you believe you suffered discrimination as a result of a mental or physical disability, take action by reporting it to the Kansas City office of the EEOC and by speaking to an experienced employment attorney.
Discrimination can come in different forms; however, no matter what form it takes, you can contact an attorney in Kansas City to discuss your legal options. You should consult with an attorney if you have experienced any of the following:
- You are being treated differently from other people without a disability
- You do not have a disability, but your employer is of the belief that you do and has started discriminating against you
- You were sacked after you developed a disability or due to the fact that you requested an accommodation
- You developed a disability after getting hired and needed reasonable accommodation, but your employer did not provide it. Probably, your employer refused to engage in an interactive process required to ascertain the possibility of a reasonable accommodation
- With certain reasonable accommodations, you will be able to easily perform a certain job, but hiring managers have refused to grant your application
You can also consult an attorney in Kansas City if you are being abused or subjected to offensive jokes due to your disability, hence making it difficult for you to work in that environment.
You have every right to a safe and serene working environment as much as everyone else. The fact that you have suffered from a disability does not negate this right. Make sure to protect your rights by getting in touch with a qualified employment attorney in Kansas.
Have Questions About Your Legal Rights? HKM Employment Attorneys are Here to Help
HKM Employment Attorneys are knowledgeable attorneys who have extensive experience working on an array of employment-related legal issues throughout the United States. Call today to learn more about how HKM Employment Attorneys LLP can assist you.
s who have extensive experience working on an array of employment-related legal issues throughout the United States. Call today to learn more about how HKM Employment Attorneys LLP can assist you.
Call 816-607-4691, schedule a call, or fill out this form and we will get back to you ASAP.