Employment Law Attorney
Cecilia N. Brennan, Esq. is the Managing Partner of HKM’s San Diego office. Ms. Brennan brings over fourteen years as an attorney in various areas of practice, including plaintiff-side representation in: consumer law; employment and housing law; disability rights and discrimination; maritime/admiralty law; and land use and planning. She has represented clients in multiple matters, including: reasonable accommodation requests and negotiations; discrimination complaints; administrative complaints and hearings; contract analysis and enforcement; and dispute resolution, arbitration, and litigation.
Ms. Brennan earned her bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), and her J.D. from the UCLA School of Law, with an emphasis in public interest law and policy. Ms. Brennan has always believed in equity and justice for workers and employees, in all professions. During law school, Ms. Brennan successfully represented garment workers in wage and hour claims against their employers and clerked with union-side labor law firms. Prior to pursuing her J.D., Ms. Brennan was deeply involved in public interest work, including workers’ rights and labor organizing, community economic development, environmental justice, youth organizing, music and art advocacy, and nonprofit management. As part of this work, Ms. Brennan assisted in the formation of one of the first domestic workers’ cooperatives in the country, and co-founded two nonprofit organizations (focused on educational equity and community development, respectively).
Ms. Brennan currently sits on the Advisory Board of Think Dignity, a San Diego-based nonprofit organization dedicated to finding policy-based solutions to homelessness. A long-time advocate for children and youth, Ms. Brennan also co-founded a loose-knit collective of parents and caregivers of children from diverse communities to play and explore together (Smallidarity SD). Ms. Brennan is an avid supporter of music and arts, especially in education.
Being bilingual, Ms. Brennan works directly with Spanish-speaking clients and stakeholders.
Location: San Diego Office
- UCLA School of Law (J.D.)
- UCLA (Bachelors)
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Latinas in the Law
- Think Dignity, Advisory Board
- CACM, Legal Advisory Steering Committee
- CAI, San Diego
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- 2019 City of San Diego Nonprofit Academy
- 2019 Law Seminar and Expo, California Association of Community Managers (“CACM”)
- 2019 San Diego Legal Symposium, Community Associations Institute (“CAI”)
- 2019 Common Interest Developments – California Legislative Update (various locations)
- 2018 Law Seminar and Expo, CACM
- 2017 Law Seminar and Expo, CACM
- Podcast: Chicana Mother Works, Guest Speaker
- “Environmental Justice Movements, A Case Study;” The University of Texas at Austin School of Law, Environmental Justice Clinic