When you begin an employment relationship, an important part of the process is to agree on a rate of compensation by the employer for the work provided by the employee. Wages are strictly regulated by Nevada and federal laws in order to protect the rights of employees and all companies should ensure compliance with these requirements to avoid liability, legal disputes, and civil penalties.
Wage and overtime disputes are common in the workplace when an employee believes they have not received the full amount they are owed by their employer. When a conflict arises, it is critical for both sides to have legal representation by a law firm that is thoroughly familiar with labor and wage laws in Nevada. Please do not hesitate to call HKM Employment Attorneys in Las Vegas today to discuss a specific case today.
Common Wage and Overtime Claims
Despite strict regulations regarding wages and overtime in Nevada, there are many ways that an employee may be denied the compensation they deserve for the hours they worked. The following are some examples of common wage and overtime claims in Nevada:
- Failure to pay for all hours worked, including time spent “off the clock” preparing to work or cleaning up;
- Failing to pay the minimum hourly wage in Nevada (which can change with amendments to the law);
- Taking improper deductions from a paycheck;
- Miscalculation of hours to avoid paying overtime rates;
- Improper classification of an employee as exempt from overtime pay;
- Improper classification of an employee as an independent contractor to avoid compliance with labor laws;
- Mishandling of tips for tipped employees;
- Failing to issue a paycheck in a timely manner;
- Failing to issue a final paycheck, even after a company has closed.
Any of the above can deprive an employee to the amount of pay the deserve under the law or under an employment agreement.
If you believe that your employer has violated any wage or overtime laws, you should discuss the situation with an experienced employment lawyer who can identify any violation of the law and of your rights. We can then advise you on the best course of action to take to obtain the back pay you deserve, along with any other damages. In many situations, we can negotiate with your employer to obtain the proper wages for you, especially if the violation was the result of an honest mistake. However, in other cases, formal legal action may be necessary.
For employers, if an employee claims you have made an error in wages or overtime, we can review the situation and advise you whether you owe the employee additional wages. If legal action has been filed, we will represent you in the case and defend against unfounded claims of wage or overtime violations.
Contact a Nevada Wage and Overtime Attorney As Soon As Possible
No matter what side you are on of a wage and overtime claim, it is critical to have proper legal counsel and representation by an employment law firm. At HKM Employment Attorneys in Las Vegas, we have helped many clients in this type of claim, so please call our office today to learn more.
Call 702-625-3893 or fill out this form and we will get back to you ASAP.