You may experience a hostile work environment (HWE) at the workplace for different reasons. For example, a supervisor or co-worker may create an intimidating working environment due to your marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, national origin, sex, personal appearance or other reasons.
In Chicago, IL, the severity of n HWE case may depend on:
- Whether the conduct unreasonably interferes with your work performance
- Whether the conduct is humiliating or physically threatening
- The severity of the conduct
- The frequency of the behavior
Hostile Work Environment in Illinois
Illinois and federal law protects everyone from being discriminated against or subjected to a hostile working environment. If you feel that you are working in a hostile environment, you have a right to be compensated. An experienced HKM attorney can help to prove a case of discrimination through various pieces of evidence, including the difference in work hours, job titles and pay. Moreover, there may be documents that confirm you are in a hostile work environment.
It is important that you are treated fairly and not subjected to a hostile work environment. It is your right to non-discrimination at the workplace is protected through federal and state laws.
Hostile Work Environment and Sexual Harassment
Hostile work environment complaints may be tied to sexual harassment if they contain conducts of sexual nature. Examples of such claims include reprisal for rejecting sexual advances, unwanted sexual jokes and photos, or unwanted sexual advancements.
Proving a hostile work environment claim in Chicago can be complicated. This is why it is advisable to work with our experienced legal team. An Illinois HKM lawyer will make a compelling case on your behalf to ensure your rights are protected and you get a fair compensation.
Employers may try to avoid liability of hostile work environment harassment by claiming:
- They took reasonable care to prevent and promptly correct any harassing behaviors
- The employee did not take advantage of the procedures in place that are meant to remedy or prevent harassment incidents
- There are policies at the workplace that redress harassment but you fail to report the incidents of the harassing behavior.
Therefore, when you experience a hostile work environment in Illinois, make sure you check the established harassment-reporting procedures at your workplace.