Is your working environment becoming unbearable due to ongoing workplace harassment? Have you experienced employment discrimination because of your race, sexual orientation, or disability? Has your employer sexually harassed you or made sexual advances in exchange for a promotion at work?
If you have experienced harassment at the workplace, you are in a hostile work environment, and your rights have been violated.
Both federal and state laws consider discrimination and harassment in the workplace to be illegal. Consulting with an employment law attorney in Boston is the best way to verify if what you’ve experienced qualifies as harassment. At HKM Employment Attorneys, we have dedicated years of experience to helping employees stand up for their rights in the workplace. We’ll work with you to gather evidence of your claims and fight for your peace of mind.
What Constitutes a Hostile Work Environment in Boston?
Not all rude or toxic behaviors are considered hostile in the work environment. Hostile work environments are workplaces where you experience discrimination or harassment based on:
- Sexual orientation
- Marital status
- Disability or mental illness
Employees who suffer from these types of issues may experience delayed promotions, poor evaluations despite good work performance, or even wrongful termination. Repeated acts of harassment take a physical toll on employees as well, leading to stress, depression, or anxiety.
Common harassing behaviors in the workplace include:
- Slurs, insults, and jokes based on the issues mentioned above
- Use of sexual harassment to intimidate you
- A colleague asking for sexual advances or favors
- Physical harassment, touching, and abuse
- Ridicule, mockery, and harassment during performance reviews
- Wrongful dismissal or demotion
- Creating a hostile work environment to encourage a coworker to quit
What To Do When You Find Yourself in a Hostile Work Environment
If you work in a hostile work environment, you should take the following steps:
- Make it clear that you’re not okay with the harassment and ask them to stop
- Speak to the manager and report the harassment
- If this doesn’t work, file a complaint with the human resources department
- If all fails, talk to HKM Employment Attorneys for legal advice
How To Prove a Hostile Work Environment Case
With help from an employment lawyer, you can use several methods to prove that you are dealing with a hostile work environment. The legal representatives at HKM Employment Attorneys are well-versed in all aspects of federal and state harassment and discrimination laws. We can use that experience to help you build a strong case against your current or former employer.
To increase your chances of a successful outcome, you should take actions:
- Make a written report of the harassment the first time it happens. Include the date, time, and the names of any witnesses. Share this information with human resources so there is another record of your concerns
- Continue to take note of each subsequent act of harassment or discrimination
- Ask colleagues who have witnessed the mistreatment to take their own notes
- Keep copies of all work or client reviews as proof of consistently good performance
- Keep any images or emails that may contain proof of misconduct. Try forwarding them to your personal email address to prevent your employer from deleting them at work
Of course, there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to fighting a hostile work environment case. That’s why it’s best for you to reach out to an experienced attorney for a consultation. Your lawyer will help you establish the best tactics for building a firm case.
Can I Sue My Employer for Creating a Hostile Work Environment?
If you have suffered from a hostile workplace due to harassment or discrimination, then you don’t have to fight your battle alone. Contact HKM Employment Attorneys in Boston to schedule your initial consultation today. We look forward to helping you see retribution from all guilty parties.
Call 617-315-4724, schedule a call, or fill out this form and we will get back to you ASAP.