Discrimination on account of sexual orientation is not uncommon in Kansas City. It is, however, wrong to treat a person unfairly on account of his or her sexual orientation.
If you have been denied certain benefits or treated differently from others in the workplace simply because of your sexual orientation, you may have a claim for sexual orientation discrimination.
The Kansas Acts Against Discrimination statutes protect you from any sort of discrimination in the workplace. You have a right to work in a place where you are valued, respected, and most importantly, free from discrimination.
While your employer or co-workers have no obligation to be nice to you, they have an obligation to abstain from discriminating against you on the basis of your sexual orientation.
What is Considered Sexual Orientation Discrimination?
According to the Kansas Human Rights Campaign, many forms of discrimination against members of the LGBT community are subtle. In the workplace, discrimination can be difficult to prove. However, there are some situations in which sexual orientation discrimination is fairly obvious. These may include:
- Hiring practices that revolve around or are motivated by a person’s sexual orientation. For instance, interview questions that insist on disclosure of a person’s sexual orientation as a hiring factor
- Firing practices that are solely based on a person’s sexual orientation. For instance, when your boss fires you after discovering that you have a “different” sexual orientation to his or her personal preference
- Segregating or classifying employees on the basis of sexual orientation
- Crude or improper jokes that ridicule or lampoon a person’s sexual orientation
- Arranging work schedules or appointments on the basis of sexual orientation. For instance, refusing to allow an employee to interface with a particular client solely because of his or her sexual orientation
- Failure of the employer to put an end to sexual discrimination carried on by co-workers
- Instituting different compensation schedules on the basis of sexual orientation
Hostile Work Environment on Account of Sexual Orientation Discrimination
Have you been discriminated against on account of your sexual orientation for so long that your performance at work is affected? Has the discrimination against you been so frequent that you are unable to effectively discharge your duties in the workplace? You may be operating in a hostile work environment.
Any work environment that seriously impairs your chances of advancing in your chosen career simply because of your sexual orientation is a hostile work environment. You are entitled to be free from working in such environment. When situations such as these occur, you may report them to the Kansas City office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commision.
In addition to reporting this type of behavior, you may also be entitled to file a claim against your employer. If you absolutely dread the prospect of going to work every day because of the discriminatory treatment you are enduring, you may be in a hostile work environment, which may entitle you to compensation through a claim.
You do not have to wait until your work environment becomes toxic before you can enforce your rights, though. If you feel you have been discriminated against on account of your sexual orientation, do not keep quiet. Contact a lawyer today.
Speak to a Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawyer in Kansas City
Enduring workplace discrimination due to your sexual orientation can be a traumatic and stigmatizing experience. Do not stand for it. Contact HKM Employment Attorneys. We are ready and able to help.